Holly Grove, Arkansas is a small town located in Monroe County with a population of just over 500 people. Geographically, it is located in the Mississippi Delta region and encompasses an area of 2.3 square miles. The climate in the region is typically hot and humid with abundant rainfall during the summer months and mild winters.
The history of Holly Grove dates back to the early 1800s when settlers began arriving in the area. In 1872, the town was officially incorporated as Holly Grove and has since become a thriving community. Politically, residents lean towards conservative values, but there is also a strong sense of community spirit that unites all who live here.
The economy of Holly Grove is mainly based on agriculture and small businesses such as restaurants, stores, and shops. There are also several large manufacturing plants located nearby that provide employment opportunities for residents. Schools in Holly Grove include two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school that serve approximately 1,000 students from pre-K through 12th grade. All schools are part of the Monroe County School District.
Landmarks in Holly Grove include several historic sites such as the Old Town Hall Building which was originally built in 1878 and now serves as a museum dedicated to local history; the Old Cotton Gin which dates back to 1900; and the Old Train Depot which operated from 1889 until 1954 when it was closed due to decreased railway traffic in the area. Other attractions include various parks such as Big Oak Park which features an outdoor amphitheater for concerts or theatrical productions; Lakeview Park which offers fishing spots; and Catfish Creek Park where visitors can enjoy boating or swimming activities during summer months.
Population: 722. Estimated population in July 2020: 639 (-11.5% change)
Males: 314 (43.5%), Females: 408 (56.5%)
Zip code: 72069
Median resident age: 38.9 years
Median household income: $15,294
Median house value: $36,700
Races in Holly Grove:
- Black (72.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (26.7%)
Ancestries: United States (13.2%), Irish (2.9%), Dutch (1.4%), English (1.4%), Scotch-Irish (1.2%).
Land area: 0.7 square miles
Holly Grove, Arkansas is a small rural town located in the northeast corner of the state. It is situated in Monroe County and has a population of just over 1,000 people. The town is largely agricultural, with most of its residents employed either in farming or related industries. The majority of the population is white with some African American and Hispanic residents as well. Most of the residents are Protestant Christians although there are also a few Catholic and other religious affiliations represented. Education levels are relatively low with only about 10% of adults having completed four years of college or more. The median household income for Holly Grove is lower than both the state and national averages at just over $20,000 per year. Despite its small size, Holly Grove has many amenities including several restaurants and grocery stores as well as a library and museum. There are also many recreational opportunities such as fishing, camping, hunting, and local parks. Residents enjoy an active community life that includes parades, festivals, farmers markets, and other events throughout the year. All this makes Holly Grove an ideal place to live for those seeking a quiet rural lifestyle away from the hustle and bustle of larger cities.
For population 25 years and over in Holly Grove
- High school or higher: 60.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Holly Grove city
- Never married: 37.2%
- Now married: 28.8%
- Separated: 3.8%
- Widowed: 19.8%
- Divorced: 10.3%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +30 (+4.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Holly Grove:
- DEWITT HOSPITAL & NURSING HOME INC (about 24 miles; DEWITT, AR)
- STUTTGART REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; STUTTGART, AR)
- HELENA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 40 miles; HELENA, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Holly Grove:
- LITTLE ROCK AFB (about 68 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: LRF)
- ADAMS FIELD (about 71 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Abbreviation: LIT)
- MID DELTA RGNL (about 80 miles; GREENVILLE, MS; Abbreviation: GLH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Holly Grove:
- HOLLY GROVE MUNI (about 5 miles; HOLLY GROVE, AR; Abbreviation: 2A6)
- CLARENDON MUNI (about 13 miles; CLARENDON, AR; Abbreviation: 4M8)
- FRANK FEDERER MEMORIAL (about 19 miles; BRINKLEY, AR; Abbreviation: M36)
According to andyeducation, Arkansas has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Holly Grove:
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT PINE BLUFF (about 58 miles; PINE BLUFF, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,801)
- HARDING UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; SEARCY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,959)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-BEEBE BRANCH (about 60 miles; BEEBE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,840)
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,288)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK (about 80 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,024)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 81 miles; Monticello, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,048)
- NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 87 miles; SENATOBIA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,842)
Public high school in Holly Grove:
- HOLLY GROVE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 111; Location: 100 BUNN AVE.; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Holly Grove:
- HOLLY GROVE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 123; Location: 100 BUNN AVE.; Grades: KG – 06)