The 10 Highest Mountains in South America
- The Huascaran Norte in Peru
At 6,652 meters, the northern peak of the Huascaran massif in the Cordillera Blanca in Peru is only the tenth highest peak in South America, but one of the most deadly. An earthquake and landslide in 1970 killed over 70,000 people.
- The Cazadero in Argentina
In the Cordillera Real in Argentina is the ninth highest peak, the 6,658 meter high Cazadero. This is now also called Walther Penck in honor of a German geologist who explored the area in 1912 and 1913.
- The Llullaillaco on the border of Argentina and Chile
At an altitude of 6,739 meters, the Llullaillaco is in the Puna de Atacama mountain range on the Argentine-Chilean border. It is the third highest volcano and the second highest active volcano on the planet. Indian buildings have been excavated on its summit, the world’s highest archaeological finds.
- Tres Cruces Sur, Argentinien / Chile
The 6,749 meter high Cerro Tres Cruces Sur is the highest peak of a triple peak in the Puna de Atacama mountain range on the border of the Argentine province of Catamarca and the Chilean province of Atacama. It marks the western end of a volcanic chain.
- The Cerro Bonete Chico 675 in Argentina
Located in Argentina near the Chilean border, Cerro Bonete Chico is the fourth highest mountain in South America at 6,759 meters, some sources even claim it is the second highest. However, due to modern telemetry data, this claim is no longer tenable.
- Huascaran South Cordillera Blanca Peru
With a height of 6,768, the southern summit of the striking twin summit Nevada Huascaran towers over its northern neighboring summit by more than 100 meters. Its first ascent was achieved in 1932 by a German-Austrian expedition led by mountaineer Philipp Borchers.
- The Mercedario in Argentina
The Mercedario is 6,770 meters high and is located in the Cordillera de la Ramada, part of the Andes in Argentina near the border line with Chile. Since copper is being mined in several places here, access to the Mercedario is limited by gendarmerie guards.
- The Monte Pissis in Argentina
At 6,795 meters, the Monto Pissis in the Puna de Atacama in Argentina is the third highest peak in South America and the second highest volcano. Its ascent is technically not particularly demanding, but it is extremely remote and is therefore not often climbed.
- Nevada Ojos del Salado, Argentinien / Chile
The mountain Ojos del Salado is the highest volcano on earth and the second highest mountain in South America. It is 6,893 meters high and is located in the Atacama Desert in Argentina, partly on Chilean territory. Due to the arid climate of the desert, there is hardly any snow on the summit. The volcano is considered dormant, but gas activity is recorded over and over again.
- The Cerro Aconcagua in Argentina
With a height of 6,962 meters, the peak in the Argentine Andes is the highest mountain on the South American continent, the highest mountain in the southern hemisphere, the highest mountain in North and South America and the highest mountain in the world outside of Asia. It is located in the Argentine province of Mendoza, otherwise known for its viticulture. The first ascent was made in 1897 by a Swiss expedition.
- Africa Religion
- Azerbaijan a Country of Modern Architecture and Special Natural Attractions
- Azerbaijan Destinations
- Easter Island Rapa Nui and Moais
- Events in Norway
- Exploration of Africa
- Golden Beaches of Sri Lanka
- Hawaii Travel Package
- Kazakhstan As a Tourist Country
- Libya Geography and History
- Norway Travel Information
- Scenic New Zealand
- Serbia Destinations
- South Korea an Asian Tiger
- Syria As a Tourism Country
- The Best of Vietnam
- Travel Destinations in Latvia
- Trekking and Mountaineering in Africa
- Uganda Travel Package
- Vietnam Destinations
- Vietnam Experience Authentic Asia
- Hatfield, Arkansas March 12, 2023 - Hatfield, Arkansas is a small town located in the western part of the state. It is situated along the Ouachita River and has a population of 1,266 people as of… Read more
- Holly Grove, Arkansas March 11, 2023 - Holly Grove, Arkansas is a small town located in Monroe County with a population of just over 500 people. Geographically, it is located in the Mississippi Delta region and encompasses… Read more
- Silver Lake, Wisconsin March 7, 2023 - According to homethodology, Silver Lake, Wisconsin is a small rural town located in the southeastern corner of the state. It is bordered by the Mississippi River to the east and… Read more
- Lowell, Massachusetts February 28, 2023 - According to homethodology, Lowell, Massachusetts is a city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts. It is located on the Merrimack River and is the fourth largest city in Massachusetts. The population of… Read more
- Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic February 7, 2023 - According to liuxers.com, the town of Karlovy Vary, aka Karlsbad, aka the largest and most popular Czech resort, has been world famous for several centuries thanks to its 14 springs,… Read more
- Kanazawa, Japan January 31, 2023 - Legends are loved in Japan, and here is one of them: a long time ago, a peasant Togoro lived in the very heart of the country. He grew potatoes and… Read more
- Travel to Iraq December 13, 2022 - On the site of mighty Mesopotamia, off the coast of the Persian Gulf, in the valley of the full-flowing Tigris and Euphrates, mysterious Iraq is located. It was here that… Read more
- Heckscher State Parkway and Hempstead Turnpike, New York December 6, 2022 - Heckscher State Parkway Reference Route 908M Get started West Islip End Great River Length 8 mi Length 13 km Route 40 Southern State Parkway 41 Sagtikos State Parkway 42 North… Read more
- Fontainebleau, France November 29, 2022 - Fontainebleau is a city 60 km southeast of Paris, known primarily for its magnificent Renaissance palace, the residence of many rulers of France. Built in the style of Italian Mannerism,… Read more
- Saint-Louis, Senegal November 22, 2022 - According to wholevehicles, Saint-Louis is one of the most interesting cities on the continent, concurrently the oldest city in the country and the first European settlement in West Africa. Founded… Read more