The 10 Highest Mountains in South America
- The Huascaran Norte in Peru
At 6,652 meters, the northern peak of the Huascaran massif in the Cordillera Blanca in Peru is only the tenth highest peak in South America, but one of the most deadly. An earthquake and landslide in 1970 killed over 70,000 people.
- The Cazadero in Argentina
In the Cordillera Real in Argentina is the ninth highest peak, the 6,658 meter high Cazadero. This is now also called Walther Penck in honor of a German geologist who explored the area in 1912 and 1913.
- The Llullaillaco on the border of Argentina and Chile
At an altitude of 6,739 meters, the Llullaillaco is in the Puna de Atacama mountain range on the Argentine-Chilean border. It is the third highest volcano and the second highest active volcano on the planet. Indian buildings have been excavated on its summit, the world’s highest archaeological finds.
- Tres Cruces Sur, Argentinien / Chile
The 6,749 meter high Cerro Tres Cruces Sur is the highest peak of a triple peak in the Puna de Atacama mountain range on the border of the Argentine province of Catamarca and the Chilean province of Atacama. It marks the western end of a volcanic chain.
- The Cerro Bonete Chico 675 in Argentina
Located in Argentina near the Chilean border, Cerro Bonete Chico is the fourth highest mountain in South America at 6,759 meters, some sources even claim it is the second highest. However, due to modern telemetry data, this claim is no longer tenable.
- Huascaran South Cordillera Blanca Peru
With a height of 6,768, the southern summit of the striking twin summit Nevada Huascaran towers over its northern neighboring summit by more than 100 meters. Its first ascent was achieved in 1932 by a German-Austrian expedition led by mountaineer Philipp Borchers.
- The Mercedario in Argentina
The Mercedario is 6,770 meters high and is located in the Cordillera de la Ramada, part of the Andes in Argentina near the border line with Chile. Since copper is being mined in several places here, access to the Mercedario is limited by gendarmerie guards.
- The Monte Pissis in Argentina
At 6,795 meters, the Monto Pissis in the Puna de Atacama in Argentina is the third highest peak in South America and the second highest volcano. Its ascent is technically not particularly demanding, but it is extremely remote and is therefore not often climbed.
- Nevada Ojos del Salado, Argentinien / Chile
The mountain Ojos del Salado is the highest volcano on earth and the second highest mountain in South America. It is 6,893 meters high and is located in the Atacama Desert in Argentina, partly on Chilean territory. Due to the arid climate of the desert, there is hardly any snow on the summit. The volcano is considered dormant, but gas activity is recorded over and over again.
- The Cerro Aconcagua in Argentina
With a height of 6,962 meters, the peak in the Argentine Andes is the highest mountain on the South American continent, the highest mountain in the southern hemisphere, the highest mountain in North and South America and the highest mountain in the world outside of Asia. It is located in the Argentine province of Mendoza, otherwise known for its viticulture. The first ascent was made in 1897 by a Swiss expedition.
- Africa Religion
- Azerbaijan a Country of Modern Architecture and Special Natural Attractions
- Azerbaijan Destinations
- Easter Island Rapa Nui and Moais
- Events in Norway
- Exploration of Africa
- Golden Beaches of Sri Lanka
- Hawaii Travel Package
- Kazakhstan As a Tourist Country
- Libya Geography and History
- Norway Travel Information
- Scenic New Zealand
- Serbia Destinations
- South Korea an Asian Tiger
- Syria As a Tourism Country
- The Best of Vietnam
- Travel Destinations in Latvia
- Trekking and Mountaineering in Africa
- Uganda Travel Package
- Vietnam Destinations
- Vietnam Experience Authentic Asia
- Brighton, Michigan May 29, 2023 - Brighton, Michigan is a small city located in the southeastern part of the state, just north of Ann Arbor. The city covers an area of 12.9 square miles and is… Read more
- Bourbon County, Kansas May 22, 2023 - Bourbon County, Kansas is located in the east-central part of the state and covers an area of 645 square miles. The county lies in the Osage Plains region and is… Read more
- Barren County, Kentucky May 15, 2023 - Situated in south-central Kentucky, Barren County is an area of rolling hills, flat plains, and rich farmland. The county is bordered to the east by Hart and Metcalfe Counties, to… Read more
- Assumption Parish, Louisiana May 8, 2023 - Assumption Parish, Louisiana is located in the southeastern region of the state, just north of the Gulf Coast. The parish encompasses a total area of 611 square miles and is… Read more
- Cumberland County, Maine May 1, 2023 - Cumberland County, Maine is a picturesque region located in the southern part of the state. The county encompasses nearly 2,000 square miles and is home to a population of over… Read more
- Baldwinville, Massachusetts Population, Schools and Places of Interest April 17, 2023 - Baldwinville, Massachusetts is a small town located in Worcester County along the banks of the Quaboag River. It is bordered by the towns of Hardwick, North Brookfield, West Brookfield, and… Read more
- Albion, Michigan Population, Schools and Places of Interest April 15, 2023 - Albion, Michigan is a small town located in Calhoun County, just east of the city of Battle Creek. It is bordered by Albion Township to the north, Homer Township to… Read more
- Berwick, Maine April 10, 2023 - According to jibin123, Berwick, Maine is located in York County, in the southernmost part of the state. It is situated on the Salmon Falls River, just east of the New… Read more
- Anne Arundel County, Maryland April 3, 2023 - Anne Arundel County is located in the U.S. state of Maryland, just south of Baltimore and north of Washington D.C. It covers an area of 588 square miles and is… Read more
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts March 27, 2023 - Barnstable County is located in the southeastern corner of Massachusetts and is bordered by Plymouth County to the north, Bristol County to the west, Nantucket Sound to the south, and… Read more